Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sing in my stead, please

Much has been going on lately (hence the lack of time to post a carefully crafted post) and I find that the time in life that teachers in middle school warn you will be the beginning of a succession of crossroads has arrived for me. Decisions, decisions, decisions... I will not bore you with the details- it's okay if you're sighing right now- but let me just say that maturity demands a lot more than I thought it would. You know, you hope it might be one of those things that people dread when they shouldn't. But it is indeed pretty nerve-wracking.

I was considering writing about some of the thoughts that great thinkers have shared about these things, deciding what you want, whether each choice really is as crucial as it seems at the moment, and why is our need for self-fulfillment so overbearingly present all the time. But!! Lo and behold I am writing a term paper on the dynamic failure of materials, and as much fun as snooping over other peoples' research has been, it has left little time for anything else. It will be some other time...

For now I wanted to share my... what should I call it? Let's say my therapy soundtrack. No, I don't go to actual therapy, but I find myself going back to the same songs for a moment of soul searching, for a place to heal, for someone to suffer my insecurities when I am too tired to carry them anymore. Sometimes I need to hear someone sing from a place of uncertainty, or about whatever it is that lifts their curtain of doubt. Would you care to share some of your songs? You do this sometimes too anonymous reader, right?

1. Let it Be, The Beatles
2. Gran Torino, Jamie Cullum
3. Hang On Little Tomato, Pink Martini
4. Cry Freedom, Dave Matthews Band
5. Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley
6. Moon River, Frank Sinatra
7. Sam's Town, The Killers
8. Caruso, Andrea Bocelli
9. The Professor and La Fille Dance, Damien Rice (lots of Damien Rice when I'm feeling blue)
10. Yesterday I heard the Rain, Tony Bennett/Alejandro Sanz


No comments:

Post a Comment